Wednesday, March 07, 2007

An Evening with My Chemical Romance

And what a night it was. Rise Against opened the show and they sounded fine. I wasn't really as into them as I am MCR so I didn't expect much. I am going to revisit the new album after hearing them live. We got the set list so look for the linked picture at the bottom of the post.

MCR took the stage with Gerard singing from a stretcher...he sat up and was in a white surgical gown. He climbed off the gurney while still singing, the band was playing behind a curtain. Gerard then pulled off the gown to reveal the marching band uniform as a curtain was pulled back to reveal the rest of the band playing in matching marching band uniforms. Gerard's was unzipped to show his black shirt and tie.

Gerard was the only member of the band wearing make-up: mostly just white, making him appear slightly dead, with a smattering of dark around his eyes. I was expecting the Frank Iero Xs over his eyes. And I thought Gerard might be sporting the mask look he was sporting a few months ago. At one point in the show, he pointed out that they are not some kind of "Death Cult" that the only thing the band has asked is that their fans think for themselves and to not accept anyone's B.S. (of course he usede plenty of expletives, most the F word or the MF combination.

This was a very entertaining show. The band continues to improve. They played very well and tight. Gerard's singing voice seemed stronger and more in control than I have heard previously.

The first half of their set was the Black Parade album played in order and in its entirety. They left the stage for five minutes or so and did another set made up of stuff from three cheers. They had changed clothes, the stage was stripped down and the last half was a pretty much straight ahead punk-themed rock show.

If you missed the show, watch for a live DVD. It should be worth watching.

It will be interesting to see if the band can top this Black Parade album next time out. I think it is truly this Year's American Idiot.

Just an interesting aside, my son thinks that Mikey should change his name to Milky or High. I am thinking of changing my name to Still or Muddy.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Vern Waters said...

The words in color on the MCR setlist are the cues for the pyrotechnics.

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home