Saturday, May 20, 2006

Car Tunes

I think the best part of a long drive is the soundtrack.

Driving down to St. George, I was listening to some classic Love and Rockets. All of my L&R collection was damaged in our flood. The insurance company purchased replacements for me of the things that were still available (and paid me something for what could not). On Monday, UPS delivered a big box to our door with most of the replacements. It was better than Christmas! Many of the great things from the 80s have been updated with additional content. Wonderful. Peter Gabriel's Masterpiece, So was damaged and replaced with the remastered version. Gabriel's remastering is wonderful. It seems to have even greater life and breadth.

I also listened to the new album, Broken Boy Soldiers, from Jack White's side project The Raconteurs. It is great. Classic rock with elements of Led Zeppelin, Marc Bolan's T. Rex. Even some of that great harmonized vocals mixed with fuzzy guitars we heard back in the late seventies with bands like The Eagles and Stealer's Wheel. Pick it up. It did not disappoint me. This record is so accessible. Start with track Six "Level," then go back to number one, "Steady as She Goes," the lead single. Great stuff. It has a familiarity and warmth to it. Listening to it is like sliding on a favorite worn pair of jeans.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brannigan C said...

Once again a great album, can't say enough about the songs, there isn't a dud. I really makes you hungry for more.

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home